Healthy eating is not about following strict dietary limitations or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, it’s about having more energy, feeling great, and stabilizing your health. You are not the only one in this world who’s been overwhelmed by all the conflicting nutrition and diet suggestions out there. Every time a food expert says a certain food is good for you, you’ll find another one claiming the opposite. However, by following our articles and simple tips you can cut through all of this confusion and start your own path towards healthy eating behavior. Today, let’s talk about the benefit of snacking throughout your busy day.
To snack or not to snack? This is the question we’d like to cover today. Most nutritionists and food experts agree that you should snack between the three major meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are some rules to the snacking game and it can be a delicate balance to decide what to eat. Snacking too much, snacking on the wrong food, or snacking at the wrong time will make your body gain unwanted fat. On the other hand, not snacking at all will cause weight gain, too. Confused? We’re here to help.
You should snack during the day in order to…
- Avoid switching into hunger mode. Eating a healthy snack prevents your body from switching into starvation mode. If you goes without food for longer than 4-5 hours, the metabolic rate will slow down to conserve stored energy for later. It’s an instinctive biological reaction of human body to the starvation. The reason we don’t want this to happen is because anything we eat that exceeds the usual calories intake, at this slow metabolic rate, is going to be stored as fat.
- Maintain a steady blood sugar level. Healthy snacking helps you with avoiding the blood sugar roller-coaster ride, especially if you are eating a consistent amount of carbohydrates for each meal and snack. This nasty cycle works in the following way: a) while starving, the blood sugar drops too low and your food cravings increase – so you end up eating something really unhealthy, like a chocolate bar, which produces a major sugar rush. b) In response to that, your body releases a glut of insulin into the bloodstream, which processes the sugars from your food and stores the excess as fat. c) Lots of sugar intake mean lots of insulin releases, which drops your blood sugar level below normal, triggering the same cravings that made you eat that chocolate bar and the cycle starts over.
- Keep your metabolism constantly running. This means that your body can continue functioning properly and burning calories the right way. Metabolic rate, or your resting metabolic rate, refers to the number of calories you burn during a 24-hour period just to keep your body’s most basic processes going. A high metabolic rate means that our body uses more energy to sustain its basic functions, such as blood circulation and breathing.
So, now we know that snacking helps us to stay healthy and energetic. However, like we said before, it’s a delicate balance to find suitable foods to eat. Because of this, you must plan your snacks carefully. Here are some healthy options:
- Nuts. One of your easiest choices to fight against hunger. Always keep a container filled with mixed nuts since they are an amazing source of good fat, vitamin E, protein, and magnesium. Nuts are brilliant because they quickly reduce hunger and provide your body with healthy energy. Everybody has their favorite – pecans, cashews or almonds – so we suggest picking up different types and mixing them all together.
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Protein Balls – a really fast recipe posted earlier which will provide you with delicious snacks. They are great sources of protein (hence the name), and can be kept in the fridge.
- ProBar BITE Gluten Free Snack Bar is one of your top choices in healthy eating and snacking. It contains 6 grams of protein, which is vital for muscle gains, and 3 grams of fiber for better digestive work. Made of chia seeds, this snack bar packs a punch of energy boosting power. Chia seeds were an important food for Aztec warriors – they prized them for ability to provide energy and endurance. In fact, “Chia” means “strength” in the Mayan language. Including ProBar Bite gluten-free snack bar into your daily eating plan will help you to improve your skin repair systems and prevent further damage. It is a gluten-free, GMO-free, soy-and dairy-free all natural product rich with antioxidants and energy.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables. Bananas, guava, and apples are just some examples of incredibly healthy fresh fruit and veggies you can have during the day. We suggest stocking up on berries as well. Most berries are rich with antioxidants, which are good for your health due to their ability to fight against free radicals. Furthermore, berries have less natural sugar than other fruits.
We hope that following tips will help you get on the healthy eating track in a less painful way. Have your own healthy snack recipes? We encourage you to share them in the comments section. As always, follow us to keep updated with other healthy lifestyle tips and training suggestions.